I came with a great idea to add a new game mode for online play that might be fun to think about and to take a breather of the "conquer all" setting. Although I know that the development isn't looking for new modes, but I want to share it so that the idea remains here and maybe later you guys can think about it.
Game Mode: Portal Rush
Players: 2-4 (due to balance issues)
How the game works:
- The game is pretty simple, depending on each map the players start in a designated part (much like a normal game) but the main idea is that they start on opposite ends of each other in a mirrored map (a map that's equal on the left and on the right side), both of the players must reach the middle where a portal is.
- When a player reaches the portal and it goes to its territory, all of the portal must be in a players territory for a countdown to start (time to be defined due to balance) and the other player needs to quickly grab and conquer the fortification that holds the portal in order to stop the countdown, reset it, and start all over again but for his side.
- The player who reaches 0:00 passes through the portal and wins the game.
What could be even more interesting:
- If the path to the portal was guarded by A.I base. Which could add to the difficulty of the map into reaching the area and it wouldn't make both players with an immense army before reaching the area.
- Traps, or blockades which could stop the player from passing unless he did something about it, this could be in form of rocks or tree's (or even enemy posts). The funny thing is that, if its possible to make event markers on the game, after you pass a blockade/trap it would say:
"Player X made it through block Number of Block
Which would increase the pressure to other players in making things faster.
- The maps could be designed as a maze for each player, now since you can see the map from the beginning (if there isn't an option to turn off the map view) the dead ends could be either rewarded or punished with either gold mines (reward) or a enemy post (punishment).
This is just an idea, that might not even be possible. But here ya go, I hope you can all imagined how I imagine it xD it would be pretty awesome.
Writer for http://addict3dtogames.blogspot.com
Got a tip? e-mail us! Also a major Settlers 2 Fan!