Sooo... I got Spikes Babylonians, was pixeling a bit of the scout... and quickly decided that I'd like to have a naked character
template first, without the bling and stuff. Being the most simple graphic, I wanted to start with a carrier. And since I really like
to pixel and did not want to start this project with a lot of grinding... yeah...
Not much, really, I only made new heads for the carriers for each available race and thought of a basic body design.
- the roman does not change much, but I made the beard* of the fat carrier more prominent.
- vikings have long blonde or red hair, light skin and blue or green eyes. Since they are in colder environment, they are allowed to
wear pants. I suppose their design could be split in two races (blonde vikings, red-haired celts)
- babylonians are based on the half-finished scout, with hair instead of bling. Darker shade of skin and a black beard.
- nubians are based on their soldiers and pretty dark. I decided to give them a necklace to improve readability.
- japanese get a traditional hairstyle, lighter skin and wear a kimono.
So far, I pixel for fun, not for a purpose. Being new to this project, I'm not sure what's the current idea on how to progress, and
what players actually want to see. As long as I have fun with something, I'll do it because I want to, but I already know that I won't
have fun copypasting endlessly for each carried object and micromanaging thousends of tiny graphics. Still, I could see myself grinding
through the stuff if that is what players actually want.
So my questions are these:
- Do players of RttR actually want change, or should everything stay as close to the original as possible?
- As far as I understand it, RttR only needs S2 for graphics. As such, if someone was to provide new textures, replaces each object and
was fine with only playing babylonians, could RttR be a game of it's own which practically uses S2 as a "DLC" for additional races and
alternative content? Is that in any way a goal of RttR, or would it be considered if graphics were available?
- How much alteration needs to be done so you would consider publication legal? (Eg. the romans don't change much, but even the tiny
change would need to be published with RttR as new graphics.)
I'm still in orientation phase. I tried to replace the jobs.bob and carrier.bob with my own to test my heads and failed miserably, so I
don't even know what I'm doing... don't expect too much of me for now. ;)